Wednesday, March 23, 2011

BE A BELIEVER

Be a Believer:  Simple words...straightforward...no double meanings...easy to understand...but not so easy to actually think that each of us...young and old CAN work together to find solutions to the problems facing the environment. Today is a good day to believe we can make a difference for a GREENER tomorrow.  The PLACE to start is wherever you are and the TIME in NOW. 

WHY BUY ORGANIC?
We all know the answer to this question but some of us are slow to understand the importance of the answer.  thedailygreen.com  is my favorite site for useful GREEN information.   “USDA label tells us that fruits and vegetables were not raised with manmade chemicals, pesticides, fossil fuels, sewage-based fertilizers or genetically modified seeds and that animals weren’t administered hormones or antibiotics.”  The bottom line…”Organic is more sustainable and healthier…for the environment and the farm workers and you and your family” Safer and  healthier…two words to remember.
All my projects and programs that focused on Mother Earth and led me to create Green Grandparents did not include changing my cupboards and grocery lists until September 2010.  I bought scattered organic products and bought most of my vegetables from a variety of Farmer’s Markets in season.   My husband has always bought organically grown lamb, bison and goats plus butter, eggs and artisan cheeses made from organic dairy products.   I supported local farms, but like so many other people, I opted for the less expensive price tag on many of the everyday things .  A friend introduced me to the EWG…the Environmental Working Group  ewg.org and I found the Dirty Dozen  and started comparing prices.  After one month of adding organic choices every time I went to the market,   I spent less than $10.00 making the “Big Switch”. 
The Big Switch is a slow change in thinking until the doing becomes automatic.     “I know I should”   “I wish I could”   “Maybe I can”…and then “I will try” …takes time. 
If it is difficult to find organic produce in your area or if  it is too costly, you can check the EWG’s list for the Clean 15 and you will still be able to have a variety of good fruits and vegetables for your family.  Here is who they are and what they do:

"At EWG, our team of scientists, engineers, policy experts, lawyers and computer programmers pours over government data, legal documents, scientific studies and our own laboratory tests to expose threats to your health and the environment, and to find solutions.  Our research brings to light unsettling facts that you have a right to know."

Download the shopping list guides and see for yourself.  Make your decisions to make the Big Switch by doing your own research.  Fill in the spaces provided for your favorite foods and compare the prices.

THE SIMPLE FACTS:

  • Americans are a throw-away nation
  • Landfills are overflowing with plastic or styrofoam cups.  In 2010 the 23 billion throw-away cups could fill 4,700 average size homes.
  • Bottled water costs more per gallon than gasoline
  • Packing your lunch can save $2,300 per year . . . enough for a cruise!
  • If every household wold just replace one box of virgin fiber facial tissue, we would save 163,000 trees.
A simple way to start:
  1. Buy only what you need and only what you KNOW that you will use.  This change alone will save thousands of pounds of waste in landfills.
  2. Check for products that have planet friendly packaging.
  3. Keep your reusable bags in your car (within reach) and bring them into the store.
  4. Try to buy paper towels and napkins with recycled fibers to save millions of trees.
  5. Support CSA Community Supported Agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment